Study Abroad in Barcelona
"Arcadia in Barcelona changed my outlook on study abroad from a narrow focus on just one country, one place, to interacting with many other cultures and people. It was an unforgettable experience of a city that expresses a truly global community."
-Allison Walsh, University of Pittsburgh student who studied in Barcelona with Arcadia.
- The Arcadia Center for Catalan, Spanish & Mediterranean Studies is located in the heart of the city, and offers a wide variety of courses taught in English and Spanish.
- Courses taught by faculty at the Arcadia Center and the Universitat Pompeu Fabra's Hispanic and European Studies Program (UPF HESP) are open to students at all levels of Spanish language.
- UPF is one of Europe's top universities and among the 500 best universities in the world. With state-of-the-art facilities, extraordinary faculty and a vibrant student community, It is a young university that has become a leader in excellence.
- Students taking courses at Arcadia Center will experience field study excursions to off-the-beaten path areas of Catalonia and Spain. Students taking courses at UPF will take part in a three-day excursion to Morocco.
- Engage in the local community and immerse yourself in the bustling life of Barcelona and Spain.
- A summer program is also available at Arcadia in Barcelona.
For an additional fee, students can spend four days and three nights in Morocco through Morocco Exchange.
The core of each student’s academic program is the course Catalan Labyrinth: An Introduction to Catalan Studies. This course will introduce you to the compelling culture, history, economy, language, and politics of Catalonia. Participants will engage in lectures, seminars, and field studies that highlight the dynamic nature of the region and its people.
In addition to the core course, students will enroll in Spanish language classes, as well as electives.
In addition to the academic program, the hallmark of Arcadia in Barcelona is the co-curricular program. Discover the unique identity of a state within a state - Catalonia in Spain - and how that has influenced this vibrant country throughout the ages.
Fall and spring semester: 16 credits
Academic year: 32 credits
GPA Requirements: 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
You must be in good academic standing and not on disciplinary probation. You need to submit a complete application including a transcript, letter of recommendation and an advisor's form before your application will be considered.
Students who wish to take all of their semester electives in Spanish at UPF HESP must also meet UPF's eligibility requirement that they have completed at least 60 undergraduate credits at their home university.
- Fall semester: April 20
- Spring semester: October 1
- Academic year: April 20