Arcadia in Cuba
Course Selection and Registration
- Students will be directly enrolled in 2 or 3 courses of their choice at the University of Havana. All courses are taught in Spanish and students need to have the equivalent of at least 4 semesters of Spanish language to participate in this program.
- You will be placed in Spanish language courses taught to foreign students by the Modern Languages Department according to your performance in the placement essay you write at the beginning of your time in Havana.
- Students participate in the Core Course taught at the Centro de Estudios Hemisféricos y sobre Estados Unidos (CEHSEU - Center for Hemispheric and U.S. Studies).
Students participate in the 4-credit Core Course taught at the Centro de Estudios Hemisféricos y sobre Estados Unidos (CEHSEU - Center for Hemispheric and U.S. Studies): Cuban - U.S. Relations: Past and Present (taught in Spanish).
(View the full syllabus)
Students will write a placement essay at the beginning of their time in Havana, which will determine their placement in a 4-credit Spanish language course.
Spanish language courses for foreign students are taught to foreign students by the Modern Languages Department.
Two or Three Electives
Students will be directly enrolled in two or three courses of their choice at the University of Havana. Each course is worth 2, 3 or 4 credits.
Following is a list of courses that have been chosen by American students in the past:
- History of the Americas
- U.S. History
- History of Cuba
- Cultural History of Cuba
- Cuban Historiography
- Special Topics Course: José Martí
- History of Cuban Thought
- History of Philosophy
- Marxist-Leninist Philosophy & Society
- Marxist-Leninist Political Economy
- Asian History
- African & Middle Eastern History
- Contemporary European History
- Historical Theory
Click on the link below for a selection of courses at the University of Havana. Courses are based on availability.
You will earn the following hours of credit:
- Fall Semester: 16 credits
- Spring Semester: 16 credits
Making Your Course Selections
Submit the online course registration form (found within Arcadia Passport) to the Arcadia University College of Global Studies through your Arcadia Passport. List your department choices and alternates in order of preference (i.e. Acting, Musical Theatre, etc.). Enter "UHAVXXX" as the course code for all areas. You will register for your courses at the University after you arrive for orientation.
You are responsible for:
- Meeting with your academic advisor to discuss course selections.
- Confirming that the courses you take abroad will transfer for credit at your home school.
- Registering for a full academic load.
For assistance with any part of the application process, call The College of Global Studies at 1-866-927-2234. Please review your course choices with your academic or study abroad advisor, and submit the online course registration form on your Arcadia Passport.