Summer Study Abroad in Cuba
Course Selection and Registration
All courses, except Spanish Language, are taught in English. Students take two courses.
- Dates (four weeks)
- Courses offered (each course is 3 credits):
- Cuban - U.S. relations: Past and Present (taught in English): The course will be a living laboratory of a country in transition. Topics covered include: What has led to the embargo and strained relations between the U.S. and Cuba? What is the past history and the future for these two countries?
- Spanish language: This course will be available in both beginning and intermediate levels.
- Bio-diversity in Cuba: The course focuses on the unique flora and fauna of the island of Cuba, and includes field trips to the Cuban National Botanical Gardens and biosphere.
You will earn the following hours of credit:
Making Your Course Selections
Submit the online course registration form (accessible from Arcadia Passport) by including two choices from the summer in Cuba course offerings, offering an alternate or backup choice just in case. Bear in mind that Spanish language placement takes place during orientation, with University of Havana's modern languages school placing the student in the appropriate level in time for registration. If opting to take Spanish language, the choice you make in your preliminary course form reflects an educated guess of where you are level-wise, and it does not guarantee placement in that particular level. For all courses, enter "UHAV XXX" as the course code. Registration takes place once students have landed in Havana, and they receive assistance from the Arcadia Resident Director and faculty designated by the University of Havana to assist Arcadia's students with the process.
You are responsible for:
- Meeting with your academic advisor to discuss course selections.
- Confirming that the courses you take abroad will transfer for credit at your home school.
- Registering for a full academic load.
For assistance with any part of the application process, call The College of Global Studies at 1-866-927-2234. Please review your course choices with your academic or study abroad advisor, and submit the online course registration form on your Arcadia Passport.