South Africa Housing Information
Absolutely Essential Information
As a participant on an Arcadia University program, you are guaranteed housing. Your program fee includes accommodation, however the cost for meals and meal plans varies depending on your placement.
Arcadia University's priority is to provide accommodation that supports your studies and enables you to experience the local culture. Accommodation is selected by Arcadia University based on these factors, in addition to considering safety, security and cost. For these reasons, Arcadia reserves the right to alter or change accommodation options at any time.
To indicate your housing preferences, submit them using your Arcadia Passport. Before completing this form, you should review the information below as well as the Arcadia University Housing Policy located in the Student Handbook. Students are welcome to submit one roommate request; however, requests must be mutually submitted on your housing form. While we will work to honor your housing preferences and roommate requests, specific assignments cannot be guaranteed.
In order to consider your preferences, Arcadia must receive your Housing Preferences by the housing deadline. If they are not received before the housing deadline, you will automatically be assigned to available program accommodation.
Semester I (February to June): December 1
Semester II (July to November): April 30
Summer Programs: May 1
If you require accommodations for any special needs—including dietary, medical or physical—you should indicate this in your Housing Preferences. Any information will be treated as confidential and will only be shared with those individuals involved in your housing placement.
Arcadia University encourages students to live in housing sponsored by the host university or provided by Arcadia. Although housing is guaranteed for students participating on Arcadia programs, you have the option to petition to decline this service and find your own independent accommodation. If you decide to do so, please notify your program manager to speak about your options, and submit a written request to live apart from Arcadia-arranged housing. We ask that you make this request as soon as possible so the appropriate approval process can be completed. If you fail to complete this process before the appropriate housing deadline listed above you will be subject to penalty fees in accordance with the Arcadia University Housing Policy. Students living independent of Arcadia provided housing assume any risks associated.
Very Important Additional Points
- Every room is different and unique and while Arcadia ensures that all rooms satisfy general standards, there is no way to guarantee uniformity of apartment and room sizes, distance from your university, furnishings or facilities.
- South Africa is an environmentally friendly country and air-conditioning and central heating are not standard in a typical residence. Remember that it will take some time to adjust to the climate.
- You should typically expect a 15-30 minute commute from your housing to your program site. You may need to take a university shuttle, or Arcadia University-provided transportation, depending on your program.
- Internet access will vary depending upon your housing venue. Regardless, you will have access in your housing, though it may be different than what you are used to at home.
- As an Arcadia program participant, housing will remain available to you during the semester, including mid-semester breaks. However, accommodation is not available before the program start date or once the program has ended. Students staying in South Africa for two semesters should contact their Program Manager to inquire into the availability of housing between semesters.
- Arcadia reserves the right to alter or change accommodation options at any time should circumstances warrant.
Program Specific Housing
For assistance with any part of the application process, call The College of Global Studies at 1-866-927-2234.