Greece Housing Information
Absolutely Essential Information
Please read this information first.
As a participant on an Arcadia University program, you are guaranteed housing. Your program fee includes accommodation; however you are responsible for purchasing and preparing all of your own meals.
Arcadia University's priority is to provide accommodation that supports your studies and enables you to experience the local culture. Accommodation is selected by Arcadia University based on these factors, in addition to considering safety, security and cost. For these reasons, Arcadia reserves the right to alter or change accommodation options at any time.
To indicate your housing preferences, submit them using your Arcadia Passport. Before completing this form, you should review the information below as well as the Arcadia University Housing Policy located in the Student Handbook.
In order to consider your preferences, Arcadia must receive your Housing Preferences by the housing deadline. If they are not received before the housing deadline, you will automatically be assigned to available program accommodation.
- Spring Semester: November 1
- Fall Semester: May 15
- All Year Programs: May 15
- Summer Programs: April 15
If you require accommodations for any special needs–including dietary, medical or physical–you should indicate this in your Housing Preferences. Any information will be treated as confidential and will only be shared with those individuals involved in your housing placement.
Living in Greece
Arcadia provides shared apartments located outside of the tourist area of Athens in a neighborhood called "Pangrati," within easy commute of the Arcadia Center. Pangrati is a residential neighborhood located near the original Olympic Stadium, from the 1896 games, and south of Vas. Konstantinou Avenue, one of Athens' major arteries. Made up of a mix of residences, cafes, shops, and businesses, Pangrati mirrors modern Greece, blending traditional nineteenth-century Athenian family residences and open air markets with contemporary office buildings and trendy cafes and tavernas.
Arcadia Student Apartments
Arcadia's apartments are located throughout Pangrati, in residential buildings shared by Greek families, within a five to twenty minute walk to the Arcadia Center.
Each apartment accommodates 4-5 students, with single and double bedrooms and shared living areas, kitchens and bathrooms. Every room is different, and while Arcadia ensures that all rooms satisfy general standards, there is no way to guarantee uniformity of apartment and room sizes, distance from the Arcadia Center, furnishings or facilities. Kitchens are fully furnished with all necessary crockery and cutlery. Students should expect to eat the majority of their meals at their apartment. There is no meal plan available in Greece. Greek heating and cooling systems operate quite differently than those that American students are accustomed to and it may take some time to get used to. Air-conditioning and constant central heating are not standard in typical Greek homes. During the winter months the heating in most buildings is turned on twice per day for two-hour periods. In the summertime, the apartments are equipped with shutters to keep out the mid-day sun and some of the heat. There is no central air conditioning in most Greek homes.
Summer students can expect to spend at least half of their program outside of Athens, staying in moderate hotels and hostels around Greece and Turkey.
Very Important Additional Points
- Wireless internet access is available in student apartments. Students are encouraged to bring their laptops.
- Land line phones are available in each apartment, but require a Greek calling card for all calls.
- Arcadia provides blankets and pillows. You are required to bring your own sheets, pillowcases and towels. Flat twin sheets work best, as American fitted sheets may not fit the beds in your apartment. We recommend you bring one set of sheets and towels with you, as you will not have time to shop for linens on the day of arrival. If you would like another set, the Arcadia staff can advise you on where to find reasonably priced linens.
- Housing is available throughout the semester, including mid-semester breaks. However, accommodation is not available before the program start date or once the program has ended.
- Arcadia cannot honor roommate requests and does not house students together from the same home university. (Summer programs are exempt.)