Student Travel Information England
Arcadia University attempts to make your travel overseas as easy and affordable as possible. All students are responsible for arranging and purchasing their own flight.
No group flights are arranged for students studying in England or Wales, however, Arcadia recommends that you consider booking your flight through our travel provider, Student Universe (click the link below).
Additionally, all students are required to in be attendance for the entirety of their Arcadia orientation, which begins on the posted program arrival date.
In order to connect you with Arcadia in-country staff on the program arrival date, you will need to be aware of the arrival instructions below. If you have any questions about booking your overseas travel, please contact Arcadia’s Student Safety Officer, Rich Conroy, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please Note: Do not book a flight which connects through the Republic of Ireland. You will not be able to obtain proper immigration clearances if you travel to the United Kingdom through the Republic of Ireland. Failure to secure the proper passport stamp may affect your ability to remain in country for the duration of your time abroad.
Review Your Program Dates
Please visit the Arcadia program calendar page to review your scheduled arrival date before booking your travel.
When Can I Arrive in England? When Do I Need to Depart?
While most students choose to arrive and depart on the assigned program dates, some students do choose to travel before or after the program. Your permitted travel time will differ based on your visa category.
Student Visitor Visas:
Students studying for 6 months or less who enter on a Student Visitor Visa will be permitted a total stay of 6 months in the United Kingdom. You are able to arrive early to the UK and/or stay in the UK after your program concludes as long as your total time in the UK does not exceed 6 months.
If you are entering the UK on a Student Visitor visa, you are required to prove you intend to depart the UK within this six month period. This means you need to either book a round-trip flight, or have other travel arrangements (a flight to elsewhere in Europe or beyond, NOT including the Republic of Ireland). The entry clearance officer will want to see this proof upon your entry to the UK.
Tier 4 Student Visas:
Students studying for 6 months or less who are required to apply for a Tier 4 Student Visa (for example: internship program participants): Please do not arrive in the UK more than one week before your program start date. Tier 4 Student Visas are not valid before this time and you will not be able to enter the UK under the correct immigration status. You will be permitted to stay in the UK for no more than 7 days after your program concludes.
Students studying for more than 6 months on a Tier 4 Student Visa can arrive up to one month before their classes begin. You will be permitted to stay in the UK for up to one month after your program concludes.
What to Expect When I Arrive in England?
When booking your flight, please keep the following in mind:
- The mandatory Arcadia orientation for all students studying in England and Wales will take place in London. After the Arcadia orientation finishes, transportation to your host institution will be provided by Arcadia.
- Students who arrive at London Heathrow airport by 11:00 am on the scheduled arrival date will be eligible for group transportation from the airport to their orientation accommodation. For most trans-Atlantic flights, this means that you will need to depart the US the evening before. Transportation will depart Heathrow airport at various times throughout the morning. Final transportation will depart at 12:30 pm.
- All students are expected to check into their orientation venue no later than 1:00 pm on the program start date. Attendance is mandatory for your local orientation in London.
- Students are responsible for arranging transportation to the airport at the conclusion of the program.
- Please review all of the rules and regulations that apply to your ticket prior to purchase.
- If you choose to arrive early, all transportation and accommodation arrangements will be your responsibility until the scheduled arrival date for your program. Similarly, accommodation costs will be your responsibility should you choose to stay in England/Wales after the program concludes.
- In the event that your flight arrival is delayed past 11:00 am, or you do not arrive at London Heathrow airport on your scheduled arrival date, or if you miss the group transportation for any reason, you will need to proceed to your orientation accommodation independently and at your own expense. Our staff will provide you with detailed arrival instructions for this purpose.
- Tier 4 Students: If you plan to arrive in the UK more than one week prior to your program start date as printed on your visa (one month for full-year students), you will need to enter the UK as a general visitor, depart the UK, and re-enter within your permitted travel period in order to obtain the correct visa stamp and immigration status. (You will not be able to travel to/from the Republic of Ireland in order to obtain these.) The immigration officer will need to see evidence of all travel arrangements upon your initial entry to the UK. Similarly, if you wish to stay in the UK after your Tier 4 visa expires, you will need to exit the UK and re-enter as a general visitor.
- Once you have made your booking, you are required to complete the Online Flight Form.
Booking Your Travel
- Arcadia University partners with Student Universe to provide discounted student fares on designated Group Flights, on suggested available flights, or on individual student bookings.
- To book your travel, please visit the Student Universe/Arcadia website and choose your appropriate country and program.
Advantages of Working with Student Universe
High Level of Support
- Opportunity to consult with Arcadia staff and Student Universe agents familiar with our programs and destinations.
- 24/7 Call Center
- Low Student Airfare - Competitive group and individual rates
- Date Change Flexibility - Don’t get stuck with a unchangeable & nonrefundable ticket from another booking website
- Limited Additional Fees - Arcadia & Student Universe partner to keep cost to a minimum
- Comprehensive Booking - Ability to book one ticket from departure to destination, limiting baggage hassles during connections.