Study Abroad in Germany with Arcadia University

Ready to Go to Germany
Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need a passport?

YES! Visit the U.S. State Department travel pages for the most up-to-date information regarding passport application and fees.


Do I need a visa?

American students do not need a visa to study in Germany during the summer. If you are a citizen of another country, you should consult with your program manager to see if you need a visa. See the section on visas for more information.


What about insurance?

Arcadia University enrolls all participants in a health and accident insurance plan with HTH Worldwide. The plan covers the costs of treatment for most sicknesses and injuries up to $500,000 with no deductible. Details of this coverage are outlined in the health and accident insurance section of our website. Specific questions should be addressed to the insurance carrier. Please note that Arcadia University does not provide insurance for your possessions. We encourage you to purchase coverage for them or to leave irreplaceable valuables at home.


Will I get the courses that I requested on my initial application or course selection form?

All students in this program will be enrolled in BONN ESRE 350S Renewable Energy: Policy and Development for 6 credits. You can read more about this course here.


Will my credits transfer back home?

Only your home college can answer this question, so be sure and safe – ask now, and obtain all the approvals you'll need. For more information regarding credit transfer policies, please visit the “Credits/Grades/Transcripts” section of our website.


How much money will I need initially? 

About $200 for meals and basic expenses during the orientation. Take an ATM card that is linked to your primary bank account in the US.

If it is linked to either the Plus or Cirrus systems or has a Visa or Mastercard logo, your card will work in thousands of cash machines throughout the world. Make sure you know your PIN in numbers (see the banking description in your specific program section).

For Cirrus customers, the MasterCard/Cirrus Maestro Cash Machine Locator phone number is 800-424-7787. Plus customers should visit their web site at for Plus cash machine locator information. Both organizations provide information for cash machines located worldwide. (Please see the section Banking in Germany).


Should I take my computer?

If you have a laptop, you might consider taking it. Electricity in Germany is 220 Volts, 50 Hz. In the US, it is 110 Volts and 60Hz. Check your computer for a dual voltage switch, even if there is one, check with the manufacturer. You will need to purchase an adapter. Leave your printer at home. Fluctuating air pressures may wreak havoc with the toner. And be sure your stuff is insured! (See the section on Security and Insurance under "What to Pack"). You can print your work at school or at a local cyber café.

You will have internet access in your dorms, and there is WiFi available throughout campus. If you do not want to use WiFi, you will need to bring an ethernet cable.


Is there any financial aid to study abroad?

Arcadia University has a scholarship fund for accepted students. See the Fees and Financial Aid section of our website or call our office for further details.

Ask the study abroad adviser on your campus about other financial aid possibilities and investigate the Stafford loan and the Plus loan scheme.


Will I feel culture shock?

Germany may not be "shocking," but it will certainly be different. Give yourself time to adjust and the school time to address your needs. Returning students report feeling "out-of-it" when they arrive overseas and when they first return to the USA. Read the description of Culture Shock for more detail.


What happens when I arrive in Germany?

The fee for the Germany program does not cover transatlantic travel. You can book a flight through your own travel agent or through the agent used by Arcadia University. Please do not try to arrange your travel plans until you review the calendar for your program and the arrival information.

When you arrive at an airport in Germany, there will be plenty of signs with instructions in your airline terminal. You will be led to Passport Control, where there will be lines for citizens of the European Community and others for non-community members. The line for non-European citizens will probably move more slowly as immigration officials verify passports. You will wind your way around to immigration control officials, where you will show your passport. Officials may ask you a few questions, but nothing daunting.

Next, you'll head for the luggage claim carousel. Check on the overhead monitors to see where your plane's luggage has been unloaded. If your luggage is missing, you must fill out a report in the baggage claim area at the luggage desk for your specific airline. Make sure you take a copy of this report to claim your luggage later.

After collecting your luggage, you will see signs for customs or "zoll." In general, you will not have anything to declare unless you are carrying goods that exceed the duty free limit. Follow the green signs ("nothing to declare") through the customs area.

At this point, you should locate the train station for the airport. You will purchase a one-way ticket to Bonn by using cash or credit card. You can view information about schedules and prices on the Deutsche Bahn website: When you arrive in Bonn, you will meet the Bonn staff at the international office.


What's the weather like?

You will be in Bonn primarily in the month of July. At this time of the year, temperatures will range from the mid-70's during the day to the low 60's at night. Be sure to remember an umbrella for possible rain showers!