Study Abroad in Mexico
Passport & Visa Information


You will need a passport to travel to Mexico. Please visit the U.S. State Department travel pages for the most up-to-date information regarding passport application and fees.

Passports are valid for ten years unless you applied for one before age 16, in which case it is valid for only five years. If you already have a passport, it must remain valid for the full length of your stay abroad. Immigration officials may deny your entry to Mexico, or airline staff may refuse to let you board, if your passport will expire before the end of your program. It is not possible to renew an expired passport while overseas; therefore, your passport must be valid for the duration of your stay. You will not be allowed to leave the U.S. with a passport that will expire before your program end date.

Allow plenty of time to apply for your passport, particularly in the busy summer months. Processing can take as long as six weeks. We recommend you apply as early as possible so that you're not caught at the last minute. For up-to-the-minute information to help plan your trip abroad and further information about applying for a passport, you can visit the State Department's Bureau of Consular Affairs web site.


Citizens of the United States studying in Mexico less than six months do not need an entry visa, nor may citizens of: Andorra, Argentina, Aruba, Australia, Austria, Bahamas, Belgium, Belize, Bermudas, Brazil, Canada, Costa Rica, Chile, Czech Republic, Denmark, France, Finland, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Iceland, Israel, Italy, Japan, South Korea, Liechtenstein, Luxemburg, Monaco, Norway, New Zealand, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, San Marino, Singapore, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom, Uruguay, Venezuela or Yugoslavia.

Students from all other countries must apply for a visa for study purposes via the Mexican diplomatic representation in their home country. If you need further assistance with visa information, please contact your program manager at Arcadia.

If you need further assistance with visa information, please contact your program manager at Arcadia.