Summer Study Abroad in Stellenbosch
Nation-building and Development: Challenges for South Africa
- The summer study abroad program in Stellenbosch allows students to learn first-hand about the history and politics of South Africa.
- The program is located at the beautiful campus of the University of Stellenbosch, surrounded by the Cape Winelands.
- Students may also take a course in biodiversity, or explore African art and literature, legal and social systems.
- A semester program is also available.
The program consists of lectures, group discussions, and field excursions and is taught by expert faculty from the University of Stellenbosch and top universities around the globe. The program draws students and faculty from around the world, injecting an international flavor and enhancing the learning experience for all participants.
All students are required to take Module 1: Introduction to South Africa's Political History. Students may then choose two courses from among seven elective modules with topics ranging from bio-diversity, to South African art, literature, legal and social systems.
Once the coursework concludes, students may choose to participate in a six-day/five-night road trip safari along South Africa's Garden Route. This optional excursion is offered by the International Office at Stellenbosch University. Please contact your Program Manager for an up-to-date itinerary and the tour fee.
You will earn the following hours of credit:
- Summer session: 6 credits.
GPA Requirements: 3.0 or better on a 4.0 scale.
You must be in good academic standing and not on disciplinary probation. You need to submit a complete application including a transcript, letter of recommendation and an advisor's form before your application will be considered.