Australia Housing Information
Absolutely Essential Information
Please read this information first.
- As a participant on an Arcadia University program, you are guaranteed housing. Your program fee includes accommodation, but does not include costs for meals or meal plans. If your housing assignment includes a meal plan, this cost will be billed separately to your student account after you arrive in Australia.
- Arcadia University’s priority is to accommodate you in a place that will support your studies and enable you to experience the local culture. Whenever possible, Arcadia strives to accommodate you with local students. Accommodation is selected by Arcadia University based on these factors, in addition to considering safety, security and cost. For these reasons, Arcadia reserves the right to alter or change accommodation options at any time.
- To indicate your housing preferences, submit them using your Arcadia Passport. Before completing this form, you should review the information below as well as the Arcadia University Housing Policy located in the Student Handbook, and any individual accommodation venue websites.
- Students are welcome to submit one roommate request; however, requests must be mutual and in writing. While we will work to honor your housing preferences and roommate requests, specific assignments cannot be guaranteed.
- In order to consider your preferences, Arcadia must receive your Housing Preferences by the housing deadline. If they are not received before the housing deadline, you will automatically be assigned to available program accommodation.
- Semester 1 (US Spring): November 15
- Semester 2 (US Fall): March 15
- Bond University (January): October 20
- Bond University (September): June 30
- Summer Programs: March 31
If you require accommodations for any special needs - including dietary, medical or physical - you should indicate this on your Housing Preference Form. Any information will be treated as confidential and will only be shared with those individuals involved in your housing placement.
Residential Colleges and Halls
When researching Australian Housing please note that a dorm style accommodation facility is referred to as a ‘College’; for example, Emmanuel College and Ormond College are on-campus dorm style accommodation facilities within their respective Universities.
Colleges and halls will generally provide you with an opportunity to live with Australian students and immerse yourself in the local culture. Many colleges provide a unique living community - complete with dining halls, tutoring programs, sports teams and many other services, activities and clubs. Many colleges and halls were founded on religious or social traditions but have since evolved into open, tolerant institutions welcoming students from a variety of religious, social, ethnic and international backgrounds.
A common misconception among American study abroad students is that such halls are strictly religious institutions. While religious services may be on offer at some colleges, they are by no means mandatory. Moreover, colleges are usually multi-cultural in composition and value diversity.If you are interested in applying for accommodation in a college or hall, it is important that you review their individual websites - including any information on what is expected of residents. When completing your housing forms, you are also encouraged to present yourself in a manner that emphasizes your potential contributions to the college community and explain why you would like to be a part of it.
Student Apartments and Flats
Student apartments or flats - whether on- or off-campus - afford a high degree of independence. You will typically live with other American or international students and have access to shared kitchen facilities. In most cases, you will prepare your own meals and should be prepared for a commute to campus. You should review the individual websites for more information on specific amenities and services.
Arcadia University encourages students to live in housing sponsored by the host university or provided by Arcadia. Although housing is guaranteed for students participating on Arcadia programs, you have the option to petition to decline this service and find your own independent accommodation. If you decide to do so, please notify your program manager to speak about your options, and submit a written request to live apart from Arcadia-arranged housing. We ask that you make this request as soon as possible so the appropriate approval process can be completed. If you fail to complete this process before the appropriate housing deadline listed above you will be subject to penalty fees in accordance with the Arcadia University Housing Policy. Students living independent of Arcadia provided housing assume any risks associated.
Very Important Additional Points
- Every room is different and unique and while Arcadia ensures that all rooms satisfy general standards, there is no way to guarantee uniformity of apartment and room sizes, distance from your university, furnishings, or facilities.
- Australia is an environmentally friendly country and air-conditioning and central heating are not standard in a typical residence. If your housing does not feature these amenities, remember that it will take some time to adjust to the climate. This is not the only reason; Australia is a temperate climate.
- Internet access will vary depending upon your housing venue; however students should be mindful that internet capability and cost may be significantly different from what they are accustomed on their home campus. For details on any fees or quota allowances, you should review the websites below. In most venues - particularly student apartments - you will be responsible for costs to establish and maintain internet and telephone service.
- As an Arcadia program participant, housing will remain available to you during the semester, including breaks. However, accommodation is not included once the semester has ended. If you consider staying in Australia between semesters and would like information on extending your housing, you should speak with Arcadia staff in Australia about availability and additional costs for this service.
- If your housing venue does not provide bed linens, they will be able to direct you accordingly after you arrive. As packing space is limited, bringing these materials is not recommended.
- Unless specified on individual housing websites, bathrooms at Residential Colleges and within student apartments will have unisex bathroom facilities.
- Arcadia reserves the right to alter or change accommodation options at any time should circumstances warrant.
Program-Specific Housing Options