Dr. Angela Kachuyevski
Assistant Professor of Political Science (CV)
Department of Historical
and Political Studies (Website)
Angela Kachuyevski, Ph.D., received a B.A. in International Studies and in Russian Language and Literature from the Ohio State University, and an MA in Law and Diplomacy and a Ph.D. in International Relations from the Fletcher School at Tufts University. Dr. Kachuyevski specializes in international negotiation and conflict resolution and international security studies. She has lived and worked in Russia on grassroots democratization and peacebuilding initiatives, and has contributed to numerous conflict prevention and ethnic conflict management research projects. Her research interests include conflicts in divided societies, minority rights and conflict prevention.
Recent Publications and Presentations
- Kachuyevski A. (Forthcoming, December, 2012) "The Possibilities and Limitations of Preventive Action: The OSCE High Commissioner on National Minorities in Ukraine," International Negotiation: A Journal of Theory and Practice.
- Kachuyevski, A. (November, 2011) "Bringing Theory to Life Through Field Study," International Studies Perspectives 12:4.
- Kachuyevski, A. (April 1-3, 2012) "'Structured, Focused' Comparison: Valuing the Utilization of Small-N Methods in the Study of Conflict Management," International Studies 2012 Annual Conference in San Diego.
- Kachuyevski, A. (March 15-19, 2011) "Global Norms and Local Realities: The Politics of Minority Rights in Eastern Europe," International Studies 2011 Annual Conference in Montreal.
- Kachuyevski A. (November 17-20, 2010) Participant on Roundtable "The Conflict of the Post-Soviet Periphery: Twenty Years After," Association for Slavic and East European Studies 2010 Annual Conference in Los Angeles.
- Kachuyevski A. (February 16-20, 2010) "Imagined Boundaries, Real Borders: Explaining Minority-Majority Conflict in Estonia and Israel," International Studies 2010 Annual Conference in New Orleans.
- Kachuyevski A. (November 13-15, 2009) Participant on Roundtable "Eurasian Frozen Conflicts and (Un)Recognized States in a Comparative Perspective: What's Next?" American Association for the Advancement of Slavic Studies Annual Conference in Boston.
- Kachuyevski A. (February 15-18, 2009) "Minority Discrimination and the Support for Political Violence: Lessons From Estonia and Israel," International Studies 2009 Annual Conference in New York.
- Kachuyevski A. (October 3-4, 2008) "Evaluating Third Party Intervention in Estonia, Moldova and Ukraine: the Case for Multidimensional Prevention," International Studies Association Northeast 2008 Annual Conference in Baltimore.
- Kachuyevski A. (Summer 2008). "Sovereignty, Self-Determination and State Collapse: Reassessing Yugoslavia," The Fletcher Forum of World Affairs 32:2.
- Kachuyevski A. (April 9-11, 2008). "Seeking Solutions in Transdniestria: Looking Beyond Russia to the Challenges of 'Undoing,'" 2008 Regional Policy Symposium on "Frozen Conflicts and Unrecognized States in Southeast Europe and Eurasia." Presented at The International Research and Exchanges Board (IREX) and the Kennan Institute at the Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars, Washington., DC.
- Kachuyevski A. (March 26-29, 2008). "Avoiding State Fragmentation while Negotiating Sovereignty: Ukraine and Russia in Crimea," Presented at the International Studies Association 2008 Annual Conference in San Francisco.
- Kachuyevski, A. (April 2007). "The Work of the High Commissioner in Ukraine," part of the Initiative on Conflict Prevention through Quiet Diplomacy: Evaluation of the Preventive Diplomacy Work of the High Commissioner on National Minorities of the Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe, for The Center for Human Rights and Conflict Resolution at The Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy.
- Kachuyevski, A. (November 9 – 11, 2006). "Questioning Preventive Diplomacy in Estonia: Thinking Beyond the State." Presented at the International Studies Association NE regional meeting 2006 Annual Conference in Boston.