Minimum Requirements for Admission to the M.M.S. Degree (Physician Assistant)
Prerequisite courses must be taken through the appropriate department, e.g. Biology Chemistry, or Psychology.
Requirements for Students Who Begin Their Undergraduate Education at Arcadia University as Freshmen
- Students must have completed the following prerequisites:
- Biological Sciences: five courses in Biology to include at least Anatomy (Human or Comparative), Physiology and Microbiology. Biochemistry is recommended.
- Chemistry: three l courses in Chemistry to include a minimum of one semester of Organic Chemistry.
- Psychology: one course in Psychology. Abnormal or Developmental Psychology is recommended.
- Statistics: one course.
- Students must have a minimum 3.4 overall GPA in prerequisite courses taken at Arcadia and elsewhere. A grade of “C” or better must be earned in each prerequisite course. (A grade of “C–” is unacceptable for prerequisite credit.) When calculating the prerequisite GPA, the University includes all courses in the various areas. Courses taken in prerequisite areas that were graded on a pass/fail basis will not be calculated into the prerequisite GPA.
- Students must take the Graduate Record Exam (GRE). A minimum score of greater than or equal to 147 for quantitative reasoning and greater than or equal to 158 for verbal reasoning.This test should be taken by the time of application submission.
- Students must have knowledge of the profession through work or volunteer experience in a clinical setting. A minimum of 200 hours of patient care experience is required.
- Students must obtain three letters of recommendation. Ideally, one should be from a professor and one from a practicing licensed physician or physician assistant.
Requirements for Students Who Enter Arcadia University as Transfer Students
Transfer students also are considered for automatic admission provided that they meet all the criteria for freshmen as well as the following:
- Students must complete a minimum of 15 credits per semester and no fewer than 64 credits over the last four semesters of work at Arcadia University, excluding summers.
- Students must earn a bachelor’s degree from Arcadia University.
- Students must take five of the prerequisite science courses at Arcadia University.
- Students must complete at Arcadia University: BI 206 Human Physiology or a 300-level Biology course with a lab (if Human Physiology is already completed).
Students whose credentials do not meet requirements for assured automatic admission to the master’s program can still apply. They will, however, be considered in relation to other qualified candidates in the general applicant pool.