The reading program is designed for professionals in education or related fields to
- Improve literacy teaching practices for all of their students.
- Increase understanding of reading processes and their connections to writing processes and learning across the curriculum.
- Develop a complex understanding of the social, cultural, psychological and political dimensions of literacy policies and practices for diverse learners, schools and communities.
- Increase knowledge of literacy research, theory, and practice in ways that can provide leadership in local schools and school districts.
- Obtain certification as a reading specialist. The degree is not required for certification and certification requirements may vary based on previous academic experience.