Critical PDE Certification Changes
The master’s degree programs in Education are designed primarily for advanced professional study. However, it is possible for students to prepare for certifications granted by the Pennsylvania Department of Education and/or the Pennsylvania State Board of Private Academic Schools while pursuing a master’s degree in Education. In some cases, students also may choose to become certified without completing a master’s degree program, but application and formal admission to the Arcadia College of Graduate Studies is required.
The current Praxis pass rate data for students completing initial teacher certification programs at Arcadia University are available on the School of Education website at www.arcadia.edu/gradedu.
Certification requirements include the following:
- Satisfactory completion of all coursework specified by the faculty adviser.
- Satisfactory completion of a practicum in the area of certification. (Practicum prerequisites must be met and the program coordinator’s approval must be received before enrolling in the practicum.)
- All Praxis tests required for certification must be taken prior to enrolling in the student teaching practicum. Passing scores on all Praxis Series tests are required to receive the certificate.
- Completion of forms required by the University and the Pennsylvania Department of Education. Forms are available on the Graduate Forms Page at www.arcadia.edu/gsforms and in the Graduate Office (Taylor 200) and the Registrar’s Office (Taylor 102).
- Students are required to submit passing scores on the following Praxis Series tests with the admission application to all programs leading to a first Instructional I certification. See Teacher Certification Programs (page 4) of Graduate Education Catalog for details.
Instructional/Supervisory Certification Concentrations
- Art, K-12
- Biology, 7-12
- Chemistry, 7-12
- Citizenship, 7-12
- Early Childhood, N-3
- Elementary, K-6
- Elementary Education/ Special Education (Dual Certification)
- English, 7-12
- Environmental Education, K-12
- General Science, 7-12
- Library Science, K-12
- Mathematics, 7-12
- Middle School 4-8 in English, Mathematics, Science, or Social Studies
- Reading, K-12
- Social Science, 7-12
- Social Studies, 7-12
Educational Specialist Certification