Dr. Kate Bonin
Assistant Professor of French Language and Culture
Dr. Kate Bonin begins her first year at Arcadia University in Fall 2014. She earned bachelor's degrees in English and French at Rutgers University, New Brunswick. After spending a year teaching English to high school students in Versailles, France, she earned an M.A. and Ph.D. in French from the University of California, Berkeley. Dr. Bonin studies eighteenth and nineteenth-century French literature; French and Francophone women writers; and contemporary Francophone African literature and film, with a particular focus on coming-of-age narratives of the first post-colonial generation.
- “Indiana and the Literary Island: Enlightenment Ideals, 19th-century Ironies.” In Approaches to Teaching George Sand’s Indiana. Eds. Pratima Prasad and David Powell, forthcoming 2015, Modern Language Association publications.
- “Troubadours, Taxidermy and Transcendence: Reading Flaubert’s ‘Un cœur simple’ with Sand’s ‘Les ailes de courage,’” forthcoming, The French Review Vol. 88.3.
- “Quintinie, Quarrels and Silence: The arguments in and about George Sand’s roman à thèse,” forthcoming, Women in French Studies 2014.
- “The Edifying Spectacle of a Drowned Woman: Sympathy and Irony in Indiana”: George Sand Studies 28 (2009): 1-13.
- “Signs of Origin: Victor Hugo’s Bug-Jargal”: Nineteenth-Century French Studies 36 (Spring-Summer 2008): 193-204.
- Review of Charles Baudelaire: Quand le poème rit et sourit, Jean-François Fournier, The French Review 87.4 (May 2014): 218-219.
- Review of Le rire et le roman, ed. Mathieu Bélisle, The French Review 87.2 (December 2013): 220-221.
- Review of Adelphiques: Sœurs et frères dans la littérature du XIXe siècle, eds. Claudie Bernard et al, The French Review 86.1 (October 2012): 175.
- Review of Alfred Jarry, Jill Fell, The French Review 85.6 (May 2012): 1169.
- Review of Intratextual Baudelaire: The Sequential Fabric of the Fleurs du mal and Spleen de Paris, Randolph Paul Runyon, The French Review 85.1 (October 2011): 183-184.
- Review of Lamartine: autobiographie, mémoires, fiction de soi, ed. Nicolas Courtinat, The French Review 84.6 (May 2011): 1284-1285.
- Review of Chateaubriand, penser et écrire l’Histoire, eds. Ivana Rosi and Jean-Marie Roulin, The French Review 84.5 (April 2011): 1031-1033.