About the English Program
Students in Arcadia’s English program enjoy a highly individualized and well-rounded liberal arts education distinguished by personal attention, career preparation and outstanding study abroad opportunities. The English curriculum encompasses both literary and professional writing and enables students to customize and combine their studies with other majors or minors. Close proximity to Philadelphia supports exceptional internship opportunities. The program welcomes international and ESL (English as a Second Language) students, who bring cross-cultural perspectives. Students are prepared for many career pursuits such as publishing, editing and teaching as well as for law school and other advanced academic programs.
- Preparation for graduate school in English literature, law, library science, creative writing and journalism
- Foundation for careers in research, communications, government, publishing, editing, public relations and business, and teaching
- Preparation for teaching at the secondary level (with Secondary Education Certification for public schools) and at the college level (with a graduate degree)
- Opportunities to work with faculty and alumni creative writers
- Opportunities to work with leading literary theorists
- Career internship
- Gargoyle literary magazine
- Opportunities to study abroad at some of the top universities around the world
The English program consists of the study of literature and the practice of various modes of writing to help students discover their own ideas and articulate them as completely and cogently as possible. All courses stress critical thinking and problem solving as essential aspects of the composing and interpreting process.
In addition to the wide selection of writing courses, the program offers courses that approach literature from thematic, biographical, formal, historical and socio-cultural perspectives. In these courses, literature is explored in its relation to the past and its relevance to people’s lives in the present. English majors do a career internship and a senior Capstone project.