Requirements for the Bachelor of Arts in Theater Arts
(A total of 69 credits, with Undergraduate Curriculum requirements and electives to total 128 credits)
The Bachelor of Arts in Theater Arts is a vital and vibrant major for those who are seeking a degree in theater in preparation for careers in a wide spectrum of the entertainment industry, including theater, television and filmmaking, or for graduate study in theater and media studies.
Students pursuing the B.A. in Theater Arts at Arcadia University benefit from an interdisciplinary approach to the art form. The goal of the program is to immerse students in the study of theater in the context of a broader exposure to the study of culture and society, in keeping with the philosophy of a liberal arts education.
Theater Arts majors participate actively in the life of the University through numerous campus productions of the Theater Arts program. Theater students also benefit from Arcadia University’s proximity to Philadelphia’s cultural community, and to New York City. Departmental outings bring students to noteworthy professional productions. Students gain experience in local theatre, film and television companies through internships.
Common Core Curriculum
(37 credits as listed below)
1. The following nine courses (33 credits):
- TH 101 The Actor's Instrument
- TH 102 Voice and Speech II
- TH 150 Improvisation
- TH 199 Theater History
- TH 201 Script Analysis
- TH 241 Acting: Scene Study
- TH 2XX Global Traditions of Theater & Performance (Pending approval)
- TH 303 Business of Arts
- TH 490 Advanced Workshop in Theater
2. Two of the following three courses (0 credits):
- TH 191 Stage Practicum and Crew: Sets
- TH 192 Stage Practicum and Crew: Costumes
- TH 193 Stage Practicum and Crew: Lighting
3. One of the following three courses (4 credits):
- TH 261 Stage Design and Lighting
- TH 262 Costume Design
- TH 2XX Lighting Design (Pending approval)
Additional Requirements for the B.A. in Theater Arts
1. The following three courses (12 credits):
- TH 264 Stage Management
- TH 350 Playwriting
- TH 370 Career Internship in Theater Arts
2. Once course in teh (200-400 level) in the field of theater studies or theater education, chosen from the following (4 credits):
- TH 252 American Women Playwrights
- TH 253 African American Drama
- TH 361 Seminar: Modern Drama
- TH 365 Theater for Young Audiences
or other relevant courses in Theater Arts, English, Communications, University Seminar or other subject areas, by approval by the Director of the Theater Arts Program.
3. 16 credits (200-400 level) in Theater Arts elective courses of the student's choosing with the approval of the academic advisor and/or Director of the Theater Arts Program.