Dr. John Gerace
Assistant Professor of Economics
John J. Gerace, Ph.D., P.E., holds an undergraduate degree in marine engineering from the State University of New York Maritime College, an M.B.A in finance from Saint John’s University and a Doctor of Philosophy Degree in Economics from The Graduate Faculty of the New School for Social Research. Dr. Gerace is also a Licensed Professional Engineer in the states of New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania and Florida.
He teaches a wide variety of courses with a global perspective in microeconomics, macroeconomics, international economics, managerial economics, finance and business at the undergraduate and graduate levels. In his teaching of economics the focus is placed on an informed and critical investigation of economic foundations of contemporary society and its relations to overall economic well-being.
He regularly teaches managerial economics at the graduate level where his primary focus is to bridge the gap between economic theory and real world practical problem solving. He strongly believes that professionals in an M.B.A. course should be able to apply what they learn in the classroom to making optimal decisions in their work.
Gerace’s strength lies in his ability to bring his strong corporate background and real world experience into the classroom so that all students can recognize the relevancy of what they are learning. He has served as the President of the Philadelphia Council for Business Economics (PCBE) as well as a Board Member of Energy Edge Technologies Corporation and the 444 East 87th Corporation. He has performed a variety of energy efficiency improvement and cost and carbon footprint reduction projects across a number of different industries. His goal as a consultant is to help industrial firms improve their overall competitive advantage while meeting their corporate environmental responsibility goals.
Gerace’s research focuses on the intersection of economics, the environment and business; he also recognizes the importance of the study of economics to the humanities and as such is currently developing a paper on the role of business in literature.
Book Review and Endorsement
- Morrison, Terri, Kiss, Bow or Shake Hand: Doing Business in 62 Countries, 2nd Edition, Media Press, 2006.
- Morrison, Terri, Kiss, Bow or Shake Hand: Sales and Marketing, 1st Edition, McGraw-Hill, 2011.
Presentations at Professional Conferences
- Energy Efficiency Improvements and Green Technologies and their Dual Role of Reforming Cost Structures to Enhance Profit-Making Capacity and Meeting Sustainability Goals, presented to Global Landscapes Conference, Kings College, Wilkes-Barre, PA April 14, 2011.
- A Case Study of the CHC International Business, Language and Culture (IBLC) 5 – Year MS Program, Abstract accepted to be presented at the One Voice, Institute for Elemental Ethics Conference, Loretto, Sante Fe, New Mexico, December 18-20, 2009.
- Gerace, J., and Mary Helen Kashuba, SSJ, DML, The CHC International Business, Language and Culture (IBLC) 5-Year Program, Abstract accepted and presented to the PA Council for International Education in Harrisburg, PA, October 3, 2009.
- SEPCHE Conference on International Education, 2004.
- Culture, Values and Recycling Programs, Proposal Abstract accepted for presentation at the Solid Waste Technology Conference in Philadelphia, April 2005.
- Socio-Economic Explanation for the Failure of the Market for Recyclables to Develop, presented at the Fifth Annual International Conference of the Society for the Advancement of Socio-Economics, The New School for Social Research, New York City, March 1993.
- The Growing Role of the Consultant in Solid Waste Management, The Pennsylvania Chapter of the National Solid Wastes Management Association, 1991 Welcoming Brunch of the Tuesday Club of Incoming State Politicians, Harrisburg, PA, February, 12, 1991.
- 1991 Pennsylvania Recycling Conference, Waste to Resource: The New Frontier Conference, Hershey, PA. Facilitator of Session B2, Institutional Recycling: The Economics, April, 29, 1991.
- Gerace, J. and Alexander, H. Waste Minimization: A Case Study, presented at the NY-NJ Environmental Expo, Meadowlands Convention Center, October 8, 1991, Secaucus, New Jersey.
- Gerace, J. and Shabat, D., The Impact of Solid Waste Moisture Content on Waste-to-Energy Project Technology and Economics, presented at Solid Waste Collection and Disposal Symposium, The American Trade Center, Taipei, Taiwan, 1988.
- Economic Implications of the Laws of Thermodynamics, Building Owners and Managers of Greater New York, p. 11, Issue No. 210, April 1993.
- How to Cope with the City’s Recycling Rules, Better Buildings, p. 36, July 1992.
- Gerace, J. and Siano, S., Recycling Dynamics: Choosing the Right System, World Waste, July 1989.
- Honor Societies and Licenses
- Beta Gamma Sigma-National Honor Society of Collegiate Schools of Business.
- Omicron Delta Epsilon-National Honor Society in Economics.
Other Scholarly Achievements
- 2008, The Graduate Faculty of the New School for Social Research, NY, Lecture Workshop by Lord John Eatwell, President of Queen’s College at Cambridge University, Cambridge, England, Recent Events in Financial Markets and the Regulatory Response, September, 2008
- 2008, Academy of International Business Conference, Milano, Italy (June/July 2008)
- 2007, Academy of International Business Conference, Indianapolis, Indiana, (June 2007)
- 2006, American Economics Association Conference, Boston, MA.
- 2005, Academy of International Business Conference, Quebec City, Quebec, Canada
- 2005, University of South Carolina Faculty Development Workshop (Partial CIBER Scholarship received) in International Business
- 2004, SEPCHE Joint Presentation with the Foreign Language and Literature Department of the CHC Undergraduate IBLC program
- 2002, Iowa State University, Fundamental Skills and Knowledge for Cost Engineers Correspondence Course
- 1995, Learning International, American Management Association (AMA) Professional Selling Skills
- 1992, Environmental Data Resources, Environmental Risk Management for Business and Property Transactions
- 1989, American Management Association, Field Management of Sales People
- 1984, International Technology Corporation, Total Quality Management Orientation
(Past and Present)
- The Thomas Hardy Society
- Elected Board Member of the 444 East 87th Street Owners Corporation (45 unit cooperative apartment building) 2007 to 2013.
- Elected Board Member of Energy Edge Technologies Corporation, Bridgewater, N.J. 2007 to 2013.
- Elected President of the Philadelphia Council for Business Economics (PCBE), 2009.
- Academy of International Business (AIB) 2006 – 2010.