PreK-4 Education/PreK-8 Special Education
Pennsylvania Instructional Teacher
Certification (variable credit depending on previous academic credentials)
This program is designed for individuals
seeking a first Instructional I Certificate in PreK-4 Education and PreK-8 Special
Education and plan to work in an elementary or early elementary setting.
- ED 512 Differentiating Instruction in
- ED 580 Introduction
to Inclusive Education
- ED 584 Supporting
Students with Low Incidence Disabilities
- ED 585 Positive
- ED 606 Strategic Instruction for Emergent and
Content Literacy (K-6)
- ED 514
- ED 517 Human Development: The School Years
- ED 526A Learning and Assessment in Elementary Mathematics
- ED 552 Issues
and Methods in Elementary School Science
- ED 562A Teaching Social Studies K–6
- ED 601 Literacy Foundations
- ED 618 Instructional Strategies in Early
- ED 621 Communication Strategies for
Effective EC Programs
- ED 622 Teaching Multilingual &
- ED 592 Graduate Student Teaching Dual
Practicum Special Education/Early Elementary Education (credits not applicable
Important Additional Certification Requirements
- Completion of all subject/content area coursework required to meet the general and specific certification standards of the Pennsylvania Department of Education for middle school education certification. This will be determined by the Program Coordinator during an initial advising meeting.
- Satisfactory completion of student teaching (“B” or better) in the area of certification and the PDE 430 performance-based assessment rating form. (Note that all practicum prerequisites must be met and the adviser’s approval received before enrolling in the student teaching.)
- Proficiency in the skills of teaching as demonstrated through program fieldwork.
- Program GPA of 3.0 is required by Pennsylvania Department of Education and the University to apply for Instructional I certification.
- Updated clearance documentation: PA Criminal Background Check, PA Child Abuse background check and FBI background check.
- Completion of Pennsylvania Instructional I application required by
the University and the Pennsylvania Department of Education. Information
on the Instructional I application process can be found on the graduate
- Obtain qualifying scores on the PAPA Series qualifying tests and the appropriate PECT/PRAXIS required tests (Note: in order for students to receive an Instructional I certificate from the PA Dept. of Education they will need to obtain qualifying scores on all required PECT/PRAXIS tests. Students may retake tests if their scores do not meet the state required cutoff scores.
- PECT PreK-4 (3 modules) Qualifying score: 220 per module
- PECT Special Education PreK-8 (2 modules) Qualifying Score: 220 per module
School of Education
Taylor Hall, Rm. 200