Marianne Miserandino, Ph.D.
Professor of Psychology
Fellow of the American Psychological Association
Arcadia faculty member since 1992
Office: Boyer Hall 124O
- B.A. University of Rochester (1982)
- Ph.D. Cornell University (1987)
Dr. Miserandino's research interests include the impact of perceived competence and autonomy on the motivation of elementary school children and their teachers; developing innovative pedagogy to foster student learning; and exploring whatever topics her students find interesting. She currently maintains the Personality Pedagogy website for teachers of personality psychology which is sponsored by a grant from the Association for Psychological Science (APS) Fund for Teaching and Public Understanding of Psychological Science and an Arcadia University Faculty Development Grant.
- American Psychological Association Teaching Excellence Award (2010)
- Arcadia University Professor of the Year (2009)
- Lindback Foundation Award for Distinguished Teaching (2000)
Arcadia Courses Taught
- Social Psychology (PY331)
- Personality Psychology (PY332)
- Senior Seminar (PY490-PY491)
- Miserandino, M. (2014). Teaching Personality Psychology. In D. Dunn (Ed.), The Oxford Handbook of Undergraduate Psychology Education. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Miserandino, M. (2014/2006). Personality Pedagogy: A Wiki of resources for the teaching of personality psychology.
- Miserandino, M. (2014/2001). Insights: Social Psychology. Boston, MA: Pearson.
- Miserandino, M. (2013). Teaching SDT theory: From introductory psychology to personality and beyond. Paper presented at the 5th International Conference on Self-Determination Theory, Rochester, NY.
Recent Presentations with Students
Student co-authors in bold
- Leatham, J., Baker, Z., Stoll, H., Levy, A.M., Miserandino, M., Malan, L. & Nienaber, A. (2013, March). Obedience in the context of identity theft in the United States and South Africa. 2013 Obedience to Authority Conference: Milgram’s experiments 50 years on, Bracebridge, Ontario, Canada.
- Stoll, H., Baker, Z., DiOrio, A., Levy, A.M., Miserandino, M. (2013, March). The effects of priming on self body image. Poster presented at the annual meeting of the Eastern Psychological Association, New York, NY.