Dr. Shekhar Deshpande
Professor and Chair, Dept. Media and Communication
Frank and Evelyn Steinbrucker Endowed Chair, 2005-2008
Dr. Shekhar Deshpande joined the Arcadia Faculty in 1988 as the director of the Communications Program. Born and raised in India, he completed his undergraduate and graduate work in the sciences there and received a scholarship to study communications in the United States. He has overseen the growth of the program at Arcadia University and has taught a variety of courses in media and film studies, visual culture and cultural studies. He continues to publish regularly in the areas of identity, media criticism and film and cultural studies.
- Ph.D. Communications, Southern Illinois University, Carbondale, IL
- M.S. Communications (Broadcasting), University of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN
- Diploma in Communication Arts (Broadcasting), Xavier Institute of Communications, Bombay, India
- M.Sc. Chemistry, University of Bombay
- B.Sc. Chemistry, Shivaji University, Kolhapur, India
- Short Films
- World Cinema
- Visual Cultures
- Introduction to Film
- Romantic Comedy
- Trash Films
- Eros, Cinema
- Film and TV after 9/11
- Lies, Damn Lies and Photography
- Going Home
- Popular Cinema
- Strategic Transnationalism in Women’s Anthology Films: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner (2010), Society for Cinema Studies, Chicago, March 2013.
- Chair, Panel on Engaging Media: Media, Spectators, Publics, Society for Cinema Studies Conference, New Orleans, March 2011.
- Chair and Convener, Panel on Sound and Image: The Spaces in Between? NECS, European Network for Cinema and Media Studies, 2011 Conference on Sonic Futures: Soundscapes and the Languages of Screen Media, London, June 24-26, 2011.
- “Sound and Image in musical documentaries: Marina Andree’s Sevdah (2009);” NECS, European Network for Cinema and Media Studies, 2011 Conference on Sonic Futures: Soundscapes and the Languages of Screen Media, London, June 24-26, 2011.
- “Nation in the wake of its demise: Anthology films as a response to the New Europe,” The Europeanness of European Cinema at Kings College, London, June 2010.
- Respondent to the Third Biennial Cinema Conference on Cinema South Asia: Focus on Documentary, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, April 2010.
- “East European Omnibus as a Pedagogical and Methodological Strategy,” Society of Cinema Studies, Los Angeles, March 2010.
- “Anthology of Identity: Emerging Imaginary in European Cinema,” European Cinema Research Forum, (ECRF) at SUNY Binghamton, NY, June 2009.
- Meta Mazaj, Shekhar Deshpande, “Cinema Beyond Borders: Slovene Films in a World Context,” in The Blackwell Companion to East European Cinemas, Ed. Aniko Imre (Blackwell, 2012).
- “Anthology films in European cinema: New frontiers of collective identities,” Studies in European Cinema, v. 7. no. 1 (2010), 77-88.
- “Anthology Film. The Future Is Now: Film Producer As Creative Director,” Widescreen, v.2. no.2 (2010).
- 57th International Short Film Festival Oberhausen, May 5-10, 2011 | Beyond Competition: Archive and Discourse, Part I, Film International, June 24, 2011.
- 57th International Short Film Festival Oberhausen, May 5-10, 2011 | Beyond Competition: Archive and Discourse, Part II, Film International, June 27, 2011.
- “The Afterlife of War: The 15th Sarajevo Film Festival,” Senses of Cinema,53, December 28, 2009.
- Media Editor, Little India, 1991-2010.
- “Whose Identity is it Anyway?” Seminar, 538 (2004).
- Book Review, “Keila Diehl’s Echoes from Dharmasala: Music in the Life of a Tibetan Refugee Community,” University of California Press (2002), South Asian Review, Vol. XXIII, No. 1 (2002), pp. 249-252.
- “Trade Tales: The Body Shop,” with Andrew Kurtz, Mediations, Fall 1994.
- Road, Movie (2009): A Reappraisal, Dear Cinema, January 16, 2011
- Traveling Cinemas, Projectionist’s Narratives, Dear Cinema, February 3, 2011.
- Indian Film Festival of Los Angeles, April 2011. DearCinema.
- IFFLA Diary 2011: I am Kalam, Dear Cinema, April 12, 2011.
- IFFLA 2011 Diary: Shorts Program 1, Dear Cinema, April 13, 2011.
- IFFLA 2011 Diary: Peepli Live (2010), Dear Cinema, April 14, 2011.
- IFFLA Diary 2011: The Bengali Detective, Dear Cinema, April 16, 2011.
- IFFLA Diary 2011: That Girl in Yellow Boot, Dear Cinema, April 17, 2011.
- IFFLA Diary 2011: Aparna Sen’s Iti Mrinalini, Dear Cinema, April 17, 2011.
- IFFLA Diary 2011: Ganesh Boy Wonder, Dear Cinema, April 17, 2011.
- IFFLA 2011 Diary: Onir’s I AM, Dear Cinema, April 17, 2011.
- IFFLA Diary 2011: Laadli Laila (Virgin Goat), Dear Cinema, April 17, 2011.
- IFFLA 2011 Diary: Pink Saris, Dear Cinema, April 18, 2011.
- IFFLA Diary 2011: Pink Chaddis, Dear Cinema, April 18, 2011.
- Shades of Grey, Little India, May 2011.
- Rotterdam Film Festival Diary, Several Articles/Reviews, DearCinema, February 2010.
- Indian Film Festival of Los Angeles, April 2010. DearCinema.
- “K. M. Madhusudhanan’s Bioscope,” DearCinema, 8 May 2009.
Web Site and Blogs