Paris Celebration • July 1–7, 2008
Participants | Itinerary | Photos | News Release
Read Our Paris Celebration Blog
A group of Arcadia students, faculty, staff and alumni will participate in a variety of activities in Paris, France, to celebrate Arcadia’s 60th anniversary of study abroad.
Arcadia’s first study abroad in the summer of 1948 was a bicycle trip across post-war Europe. Later travels included a mix of cultural exploration and learning experiences. The group will recreate the spirit of these early study abroad adventures with bicycle tours in and around Paris, and visits to museums and neighborhood walking tours, led by Arcadia faculty. The week will end with a reception to celebrate the launch of Arcadia’s new Summer in France program at American Graduate School of International Relations, Arcadia’s affiliated campus in Paris.
Our Paris Celebration students will be busy recording and sharing their experiences during theweek through blogging, videos, photography and writings. Follow along at: http://arcadiaparistrip.blogspot.com.
- Tuesday, July 1: Arrival in Paris, Student Orientation and Welcome Dinner
- Wednesday, July 2: Paris Day Bike Ride, guided by Fat Tire Bicycle Tours.
- Thursday, July 3: Marais District Walking Tour, led by Dr. Carlos Ortiz, Associate Professor of Computer Science. Paris at Night Bike Tour, guided by Fat Tire Bicycle Tours.
- Friday, July 4: Left Bank Walking Tour, led by William Meiers, Honors Program Director, and a tour of the Picasso Museum, led by Bonnie Hayes, Assistant Professor of Fine Arts.
- Saturday, July 5: Day Bike Trip to Versailles, guided by Fat Tire Bicycle Tours.
- Sunday, July 6: Reception to welcome students enrolled in the new four-week summer course to study French language and European and French international relations, politics, and government at the American Graduate School of International Relations and Diplomacy. James Bullock, Minister Counselor for Public Affairs (Information and Cultural Affairs) at the Embassy of the United States of America in Paris and Co-President of the Fulbright Commission in France, will serve as the event’s keynote speaker.
- Monday, July 7: Travel home
Top | 60 Years of Studying Abroad home