Scott ’17 Recognized in Independence Seaport Exhibition for Rowing Achievements

By RetterJ | March 15, 2017

Rowing champion Maurice Scott ’17, a Global Securities and Emergency Management major, will be featured in the “Philadelphia Rowing: Breaking Barriers” gallery at the Independence Seaport Museum from March 31 through Oct. 9.

Showcasing rowers who broke barriers of class, gender, race, and ability, the exhibition will highlight Scott’s achievements as the first representative from a Philadelphia public high school to row for a Division I team and compete overseas at the collegiate level, and as the first African American to represent the University of New South Wales in rowing. His medals and Philadelphia City Rowing uniform will be displayed.

“This recognition means the world to me,” said Scott. “When I started rowing competitively six years ago, people laughed because it wasn’t a traditional sport in my community. Fast forward to now, rowing has taken me across the world and allowed me to accomplish things that many people don’t get the opportunity to do in a lifetime.”

Scott hopes to motivate those who visit the exhibition to pursue their dreams regardless of what people may think.  

“Anything is possible when you keep your goals in sight,” Scott said. “I hope this exhibition inspires at least one person to go after their passion and not look back.”